Apply for Social Security Disability Benefits
There are three ways to apply for Social Security Disability benefits in Louisiana:
- You can call the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213.
- You can visit the nearest Social Security Disability regional office. If you do not know the nearest Social Security Administration office visits the Social Security Administration website at http://www.ssa.gov/. Go to the Louisiana regional homepage and enter your zip code into the office locator site. The closest Social Security office will be listed. You can also visit the Social Security Administration online at www.socialsecurity.gov for other information.
- To expedite the processing of your Louisiana Social Security Disability Application you will need:
- Social Security number and proof of age, such as a certified copy of a birth certificate
- Names, addresses, and telephone numbers of doctors, hospitals, clinics, and institutions
- Names of all medications you are taking and the prescribed dosages
- Medical records from your doctors, therapists, hospitals, and clinics
- Lab tests and lab results
- All work information for the last 15 years
- A copy of your most recent W2 Form or federal tax return for the past year if you have been self-employed.
- Marriage and dependents information
- Information about the home you live in
- Payroll slips, bank books, insurance policies, car registration, burial fund records, and other information about your income and resources
- Information about any public assistance you receive.
- Disability Information